Traditional martial arts training is about life skills. In the ATA, we say that we teach life skills and we use Taekwondo as the teaching medium. There are many life skills taught, but in my opinion, there are seven of them that lead the pack. Anyone at any age level will benefit from learning these skills and making them a way of life.
1. Courtesy – plain and simple, if you are nice to other people, more than likely they will be nice to you.
2. Loyalty – people can depend on you to do what you say you will do to the best of your ability.
3. Respect – respect begins with one’s own self. If you don’t respect yourself as a unique human being, you won’t be able to respect others.
4/5. Honor and Integrity – these have to be discussed together, because they are like heads and tails on a coin – you can’t have one without the other. You are always honest and truthful to others, and you do the right thing at all times, even if it is difficult or no one else is looking.
6. Self-Control – learning to control your thoughts and actions leads to a level of confidence that marks the martial arts student as a leader.
7. Last, but not least: Perseverance – you never give up. If you don’t succeed at first, learn from your mistakes and succeed the next time.
These are attributes of a true martial artist and a leader in all aspects of life. Are these attributes part of your life? If you want them to be, give West Houston ATA Martial Arts a call and start training immediately!